Malaysian living in Qatar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help to boost WiFi router signal

2 posters

Go down

Need help to boost WiFi router signal Empty Need help to boost WiFi router signal

Post by DatukBendahara 2008-05-11, 16:54

I have this Linksys ADSL WiFi router (WAG354G) which is located on a ground floor. Recently, I bought a USB WiFi receiver for my old laptop which I placed it on the upper floor. Somehow the signal is so weak that the laptop connection with the router went down intermittently. Just to add further information, my router doesn't come with antenna and I do not wish to move the router as it is wired to a desktop PC.
DatukBendahara
DatukBendahara

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Need help to boost WiFi router signal Empty Re: Need help to boost WiFi router signal

Post by silver16v 2008-05-12, 10:12

Since you don't want to move the router, not many choice really other than to buy add-ons gadget;

- Get Wifi Range Extender (recommended Linksys or D-Link)*
try the cheaper brand/make (~QR240) D-LINK DWL-G710 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless Range Extender
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=357

*Don't buy Belkin Range Extender (stability problem) although offering dual mode capability AP/Range Extender.
*Don't buy US-Robotics Range Extender unless you are sure that your current router supports WDS function.

or

- Change better wifi router (extra coverage model)

or

- Change better USB wireless adaptor (recommended US-Robotics)

or
- Change new Laptop with better reception lol!

cheapest solution, move your router closer to the Laptop or simply use network LAN cable (Cat 5e or better) to connect direct from the laptop to router port.
silver16v
silver16v

Number of posts : 360

http://www.malaysiaqatar.com

Back to top Go down

Need help to boost WiFi router signal Empty Re: Need help to boost WiFi router signal

Post by DatukBendahara 2008-05-13, 19:52

silver16v wrote:Since you don't want to move the router, not many choice really other than to buy add-ons gadget;

- Get Wifi Range Extender (recommended Linksys or D-Link)*
try the cheaper brand/make (~QR240) D-LINK DWL-G710 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless Range Extender
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=357

I had seen Linksys range extender in Carrefour sometimes back. I was tempted to buy it but is it compatible with my Linksys model? I noticed on the box which specified a particular model of Linksys WiFi which does not include mine.
DatukBendahara
DatukBendahara

Number of posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by silver16v 2008-05-14, 08:18

Need help to boost WiFi router signal 37404976-177x150-0-0_

Linksys WRE54 basically comes in 2 variant. One with RJ45 socket and the other one without any socket. The antenna is fixed - non removable type. I've tried both type and compared side by side at the same spot. The one without RJ45 socket has a better signal reception. Very easy to set up. However i prefer D-Link DWL-G710 since it is cheaper QR210~QR240 instead of Linksys WRE54 = QR390. Additionally with detachable antenna, you have option if you want to use high-gain antenna (9 db) costing around QR120.

Need help to boost WiFi router signal DWL-G710_view

I've also tested USR 5441 (QR275), very good reception (better than Linksys) but too bad it only supports WDS (wireless distribution system) a feature which older models wifi router do not have.

Need help to boost WiFi router signal 5441

Luckily at that time (May 2007) i bought it from Carre4, so i was able to return it and get full refund. Another lesson learned during that time, cash purchase is no good for refund coz they will give you cash voucher and you'll have to spend it within the same day. Even with Visa Electron (electronic direct debit) it will take 1 month to get refund. The best is Credit-card, refund can be done immediately.

Wallahualam..
silver16v
silver16v

Back to top Go down

Post by silver16v 2008-05-15, 18:58

DatukBendahara wrote:
I had seen Linksys range extender in Carrefour sometimes back. I was tempted to buy it but is it compatible with my Linksys model? I noticed on the box which specified a particular model of Linksys WiFi which does not include mine.

Yes it should be compatible with your Linksys WAG354G.
silver16v
silver16v

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down